528 Thompson St.
Pastor Sandra Sellers
The United Church of Canada, the largest Protestant denomination in Canada, was originally formed from the Union of the Congregationalist, Presbyterian and Methodist faiths. Our Herbert church, originally Methodist, was built in 1911 west on main street at the top of the hill. It was served by student ministers and circuit riders. At the time of Union in 1925 a board of management was elected, then due to finances, at times the church closed until 1934, although Sunday School was operated by a school teacher. This building was sold to the now Herbert Evangelical Free Church in 1947, and later dismantled. Later the pastoral charge of Herbert-Morse-Ernfold-Chaplin was formed with the manse housed in Morse.
There has been building changes, on the site north of the existing buildings: the former Lutheran church in 1947 and the former MB church in 1957, which was moved to a new basement in 1963 at the present site. CGIT was formed in the late forties, with 30 - 35 girls. In 1968, a 12 member administrative board replaced the former board of sessions and stewards.
The piano was purchased in 1950; the organ in 1974 with donations to the Memorial Fund. It is a recognition of those pioneers active in contributing to the well being of the church, as well as memorial tributes by individuals to the various items used for sacraments and enhancements. In the days when banks, education, police, and medical personnel changed routinely, these families were part of the congregation sharing their talents. A combination of change in times, people relocating, jobs becoming redundant and deaths of dedicated members, there has been a challenge to overcome difficulties with pulpit supply and finance.
The members are part of a progressive and inclusive church, a caring congregation that welcomes all. Many people have found warmth in the small close knit congregation where a special kind of fellowship is enjoyed and are happy to call the Herbert United Church "our church." In Fall 2004, the United Church congregation moved to the St. Paul Lutheran Church for joint services; and, the property on Thompson Street was acquired by the Crossroads Church.