Infrastructure


•  Administration Building
•  Water Treatment Plant
•  Maintenance Shop & Fire Hall
•  Emergency Operations Centre
•  Sports Complex
•  Swimming Pool
•  Library
•  Cemetery

Administration Building
The Town of Herbert acquired the building, located at 503 Herbert Avenue, from the Chinook School Division when the Herbert School Division became amalgamated into the larger division. Administration moved into the building in July of 2007. As well as being more suitably located, the building has more room for office space, board room space and storage.

Water Treatment Plant
The Town of Herbert's water is treated to meet provincial standards prior to distribution. The Water Treatment Plant is located on the south side of Prairie Avenue between Dennis Street and the alleyway to the west of Dennis Street.

Maintenance Shop & Fire Hall
The Fire Hall & Maintenance Shop is located on the west side of Dennis Street between Herbert & Prairie Avenues. They house the Fire Truck and equipment, the EMS Vehicle, and the Fire Rescue Vehicle.
A second maintenance shop is located behind the old Town Office.

Emergency Operations Centre
The Town Office building that served as the Administration Building until July of 2007
was, (on January 25, 2010), officially dedicated in the namesake of William (Bill) Redekop honouring his many contributions to the Town in expended time and energy to promote and assure continued sustainability of his home community. In addition to serving on Council for many years, several as Mayor, Bill has been active with emergency measures, health, and numerous other boards. Bill, in his own right, is a great town historian. The building is ideally suited for a formal Emergency Operations Centre for the town. It currently houses the Office of the Fire Chief and Town Foreman and is used as a coffee room for Public Works and Water Treatment Plant staff and a training centre for the Herbert & District Volunteer Fire Department.

Sports Complex
The Herbert & District Sports Complex is located on the north side of Connaught Avenue between Leonard and Annable Streets. (Immediately west of the Herbert School.)
The building houses an ice surface for skating and hockey as well as 3 sheets of curling ice. There is spectator seating in the hockey rink area and in the waiting room areas for hockey and curling. The complex has a large waiting area, and a kitchen.
The ice plant to make artificial ice is usually started in early November and is shut down in late March of each year. The facility provides a venue for skaters, hockey players, and curlers from Herbert and surrounding areas.

Swimming Pool
The Herbert Community Swimming Pool operates seasonally from June to September. The pool provides summer jobs to local students and offers public swimming, swimming lessons and several other swimming programs. Solar heating was added to the pool for the 2007 operating season and in 2008 the interior and exterior of the pool was given a fresh paint job. Also, a new sign is now displayed proudly on the pool building.

Library
•  Click here for information about the Herbert Library. 
•  Click here for information about the
Chinook Regional Library, 1240 Chaplin St. W., Swift Current, SK.
Books may be left at the Town Office outside of Library hours.  To see news and updates about the Herbert Library, go to the Newsletters section of this website.

Cemetery
Burial grounds are an essential part of a community; the Herbert Cemetery is legally described as: NorthWest quarter of Section 7 Township 17 Range 9 West of the Third Meridian, Plan N3748 was surveyed December 1912 by Albert Coleman Garner, Regina, Sask. Duplicate Certificates of Titles 122DZ, 123DZ and 124DZ were registered in the Moose Jaw Land Registration District. "Potter's Field" was designated in the northwest portion of the plan, and entries were made on separate pages in the register.

According to minutes of council, data referring to cemetery beginnings noted that in May and June of 1913, a cemetery committee was appointed to inquire into cemetery arrangements. This committee was to 'draw up scheme for dealing with cemetery and report to next meeting.' In June 1916, the chairman of the works committee was authorized to 'hire a man and a team to put the cemetery in shape - the expense not to exceed $25.00.' By June 1918, the cemetery committee was requested to make a survey of lots in the cemetery and submit a new list of prices to be charged for the lots. The first prices appear to be $5.00 per double plot.

Apparently there was an epidemic of influenza in 1918, and adequate records were not kept, so many names are not recorded. Through the years, the initial entry was made by a family member, and future additions were not recorded. As burial occurred, the family members would mark the site at the location but it would not be recorded in the town records.

Planning for the 'new' cemetery began in 1958, surveyed by Underwood McLellan & Associates (Moose Jaw) Ltd; these plans were completed in June 1960. Prices charged were $15.00 per single plot. {The latest increase, in January 1991, is $100.00 per single plot.} The Herbert Community Auxiliary, in 1963, made plans to landscape the grounds. In 1964, gates for the cemetery, hung on red brick posts, were installed. This was an ambious group, and they contacted many people for assistance in marking and locating graves, as well as for financial support. The gates are a reminder of their efforts and consideration.

By early 1970, Town Administrator Edna Voth realized the need for recording the existing information on a map. She, with help from John J. Kehler, the member of council in charge of the cemetery, and who did a great deal of footwork, spent many hours putting together the foundation I have used to build on.

In 1988 and 1989, Merle Harrison, as assistant administrator, with a survey crew of Murray Harrison and Ernest Zander, surveyed the total cemetery to update for posterity, the unmarked sites and the actual burial sites, which differs in many instances from the register. All the information was documented and the map was put in book form for easy access.

It is interesting to note that when someone in a school district died, the plots chosen were in proximity to persons deceased that had lived in the same area. Family plots were selected with care, a practice that is still very evident today. Markers are also chosen with care, an indication of the feeling for the person interred therein, with references to their life by symbols that exemplify their faith, or their work, for example, may be stems of wheat or tools; their interests symbolized by designs of flowers or musical notes, each one being very unique. These broad selections and styles of headstones give a distinct 'personality' and for anyone who goes there, it is like a stroll through memory lane and one remembers with warmth those memories evoked.

Not for those with small town ties are the beautiful grassed cemeteries with bronze plaques...a visit there is specifically to remember their own loved ones. But the little prairie cemetery, dotted with small bushes, little fences and crosses, perennial plants, flower vases and personal touches really do tell a story of those who have gone before. Another most selective choice are the inscriptions...one such inscription in the Herbert Cemetery that sums up great feeling for the departed: a final eloquent tribute "To Memory Ever Dear"

There is also the Roman Catholic Cemetery located just north of town on Shaw street.

There is a Cenotaph located in the park downtown that honours those who lost their lives fighting in World War I, World II, and the Korean War.


Town of Herbert
Box 370
Herbert, SK  S0H 2A0
p:  1.306.784.2400     f:  1.306.784.2402
t.o.herbert@sasktel.net